Finishing Kit

July 16, 2012

The Canopy Fairing - continued - 2.0 hrs.

Today I pulled off the strips of peel ply, to reveal the cured patches as seen here. I love this technique. This won't take much sanding at all, to smooth it out.

Here's the left side, also ready to sand.

At this point, I started carefully sanding.

I spent a 1-1/2 to 2 hours sanding very carefully. I'm using my magnifiers, and I sanded until I can't see any scratches, pits, defects, or whatever. Then it's time to prime it some more and see what I have. Here's the material I'm using. I think there are probably a lot of good brands of this kind of high-build sanding primer. I found this at the nearest auto parts store in the paint section.

I misted a thin coat on, then laid it on heavier to completely cover everything. This will fill in any micro-scratches and give me something a bit more substantial to sand on.

I can see a few defects quite easily, but my hope is that they will sand away. They don't show up in these pictures.

And finally, here's the left side. Looks pretty good!

At this point, I decided to pull the top layer of tape. I had applied a 2nd layer recently, mainly to cover the orange tape from the paint. After pulling the top strip of tape, the nice clean orange layer is left that I can sand down to once this primer is solidly dry.

This is looking pretty good, and it's ready to sand with my final (hopefully!) fine grades of sandpaper, 400 and 600.

It's time to call it a night and let this thoroughly dry.

<< Previous | Home | Next >>

Contact me: swayze "at" (replace "at" with the @ sign... no spaces... you know the deal)