December 5, 2009

Fabricating and Priming the Tunnel Cover - 3.0 Hrs.

I know the plans would have you do these first, but I did it out of order and worked on the seats first. But today I got busy and fabricated the z-brackets and top plate for the forward tunnel cover.

This went together pretty well, although there were a lot of tedious details to cutting the brackets out of the z-material. When it came time to drill the top cover on, I had to squeeze them together at the tops to get it to fit together. It didn't look like the cover plate was wide enough until I did. Also, I didn't pre-drill the aft two holes on the left and right, and I'm glad I didn't. The cover plate overhangs the brackets more than 1/8" at the rear, and if I had drilled the holes where the plans indicate, they would have been dangerously close to the ends of the flanges on the z-brackets.

After this, I took it all apart for the usual prep work, then primed these parts. I hope to have a big topcoat painting day tomorrow with my JetFlex paint.

<< Previous | Home | Next >>

Contact me: swayze "at" europa.com (replace "at" with the @ sign... no spaces... you know the deal)